Here is a great CNN article about blogging about the World Cup. It was especially good to see that many of the World Cup blogs are done by true fans and not by the media. Here is a link to one of the blogs mentioned in the article. Also, a quick search on technorati found 417 blogs about the World Cup. Nice….
BTW, I’m writing this while following the Live Matchcast of Germany-Argentina on fifaworldcup.com
Technorati tags: worldcup, ubicomp, blogging
I finished reading In the Bubble last night (see also this earlier post). A couple of additional thoughts here about how his writing about designing applies to teaching and learning.
Thackara talks about the notion of design mindfulness (pp. 6-7), which means:
- thinking about the consequences of design actions before we take them and pay close attention to the natural, industrial, and cultural systems that are the context of our design actions;
- consider material and energy flows in all the systems we design;
- give priority over human agency and not treat humans as a “factor” in some bigger picture;
- deliver value to people – not deliver people to systems;
- treat “content” as something we do, not something we are sold;
- treat place, time, and cultural difference as positive values, not as obstacles;
- focus on services, not on things, and refrain from flooding the world with pointless devices.
I think the analogy between design mindfulness and teaching are pretty obvious. As teachers, we are designers of learning, and “system” could be analogous to schools or education. Keep that in mind and you’ll get the picture….
technorati tags: ubicomp, teaching, learning, education
One more week until NECC. I’m looking forward to seeing some of my colleagues in the handheld computing field. Even though my stay will be short, I’m sure I’ll be attending as many sessions as I can. Here are the sessions I will be involved in as a presenter:
Thursday July 6, 2006:
12:30-1:30 pm: Ubiquitous Computing: Making the Most of Handhelds in the Classroom
SDCC 30D/E (presentation)
3:30-4:30 pm: Student Reporters: Using Video Cell Phones as an Educational Tool
SDCC 27A/B (Tom McNeal’s presentation. We’ll be co-presenting albeit that Tom will be hooking up via video conferencing).
4:45-6:00 pm: SIGHC (Handheld Computing) Annual Business Meeting
SDCC 7B (I’ll be chairing this meeting)
Hope to see many of you at these sessions!
This article about global cell phone use speaks for itself
With the proliferation of cell phones and services, and increasing globalization, you would think that cell phone providers (or somebody else) will come up with a solution to this problem….
technorati tags:cellphones, globalization, ubicomp, ubiquitous
Blogged with Flock